Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to the world of Jessica Bortner-Harris and Rocky Start Stables. I thought I'd use this first blog to introduce Rocky Start to those who aren't informed.  For those that are....you can skip this one and wait for the next blog.  :)

Rocky Start Stables is an up and coming eventing farm in Thurmond, NC.  We are nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Our farm has been in my husband's family for years, so there was and is a lot of work to be done.  The atmosphere is laid back and the scenery is beautiful.  We are not an upscale facility, but that doesn't mean we don't have good things going on here!! 


I (Jessica Bortner-Harris) am originally from Dallastown, PA.  I have my B.S. in Equestrian Studies from Wilson College.  I have been riding all of my life, but I didn't start eventing until I went to college.  I immediately fell in love with the sport, and I have been doing it ever since.  I have a passion for the off the track thoroughbreds, and I have owned quite a few so far.  They are such tremendous athletes with so much to offer.  

And now to introduce the stars of the show:




Win the War, aka Jitterbug, is the superstar of the farm.  He is a 2001 TB gelding by Entropy, out of Jitterbug Mary.  He had a brief race career before I found him at the Charles Town racetrack.  He's been the horse of a lifetime ever since!  He never ceases to amaze me with his athleticism and love of eventing.  Not only that, but he has way more personality than any one horse should ever have! He's always playing practical jokes and antagonizing the other horses.  He did his first season of Preliminary in 2009, and he has a very successful year.  He had a first at the Lost Hounds HT in Erie, PA and two 3rds, one at the Virginia HT in the spring and another at the Full Gallop HT in August.  He competed in his first CIC* at Plantation in the fall, and he was in 9th after XC.  Unfortunately, he had to be taken to New Bolton for colic surgery that afternoon, thus putting his '09 season to an end.  He is now back and better than ever!  I thank God every day for his quick recovery.  He came back in 2010 to do Prelimiary at the Pine Top Advanced HT the end of Feb and came home with a 2nd place ribbon!  Not too shabby for his first event back in action.  




Fuerst Rendition, aka Renn,  is a 2004 Hanoverian stallion by Fuerst Heinrich, out of Gueldenstandt.  He is a gorgeous mover and loves to jump.  He is making his debut in the eventing world this year, and I hope that he will do as well as I know he can!  I started Renn myself, and it has been a joy to bring him along.  He's such a cool horse with a lot of personality as well.  He and Bug can be seen playing over the fence every morning before breakfast.  Renn has 3 foals on the ground thus far from 2009, and I am hoping that he will have many more beautiful babies in the future!  So far, he has proven to stamp his babies.  They are all a little bit different, but you can see him in every one.  




Mr. Lincoln, aka Abe, is a 1992 off the track TB by Blue Quadrant out of Always Out Front.  He is the old man of the farm, and he loves being retired.  I rescued Abe in 1999 from Lost and Found Horse Rescue in PA.  I went on to do lot of rehab work with him, and eventually, he made it through Training level in eventing.  He even qualified for the American Eventing Championships at Novice in 2007.  However, Abe's personality is not well suited to a high stress show career, so I made the decision to retire him to schoolie.  He loves his job of toting around little kids, teenagers, and adults.  He has a lot of personality as well, and he makes sure everyone that is near him is used as his personal scratching post.




Me Fuerst, aka Mia, is a 2009 1/4 Hanoverian, 3/4 TB filly by Fuerst Rendition, out of Jet to Party.  She was orphaned at 24 hours old, and it has been a whirlwind ever since!  Her name could not suit her more!  She has an incredible internal clock, and she can tell you when you're late with her food by more than 5 minutes!  She can be heard yelling across the farm trying to remind you to hurry it up!  She loves to be scratched and petted.  Mia also seems to have gotten her daddy's lovely movement and super laid back personality.  I am hoping for great things from her!




Fuerst Love, aka Amore', is a 2009 1/4 Hanoverian, 3/4 TB colt by Fuerst Rendition, out of Raja.  He was born late last year, but he keeps up with his sister pretty well.  Unfortunately for him, we plan to have him gelded within the next month or so.  He is super smart, and he has also acquired his daddy's lovely movement.   I believe he's going to make a lovely hunter/jumper in his future life.  










I know, I know, that was a lot of horses!  We also have 3 dogs and a cat too.  They're all our children, and we have a lot of fun here at Rocky Start.  


I'm sure I've bored you all enough for now.  Check back in later!!


Thanks!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment