Sunday, March 28, 2010

Determination

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” -Gail Devers

Ever since Southern Pines, I have decided that I need to go back to the basics with my boys.  I have a lot of position problems to fix with Bug, as his jump is so huge, I find myself throwing my upper body all over the place.  I also needed to work on slowing my brain down and focusing on one jump at a time.  With Renn, I have been trying to learn to "let go."  He goes so much better in as relaxed a rein as I can give him.  I have been working on jumping fences from the trot, to help me get my position and riding where it needs to be.  I have also been working very hard to get Bug to be softer and more through in his dressage.  This has always been a struggle.  

I took the boys down to Aiken this week for lessons with Kim Severson.  I've been riding with her  for about a year now, and she has helped me improve a lot in the lessons I've been able to get.  I would recommend her to anyone.  She's got an incredible eye, and she pushes you to get it perfect.  I always come away with a wealth of knowledge.  

Anyway, I had jump lessons on both boys the first day.  She had me working on the same things that I've been doing at home, which really made me happy that we were on the same page, even if there was still work to do!  Bug's jump lesson really had me grinning.  I made some mistakes, and she helped me to fix it.  The last course I did with him was super.  He's jumping soooo well.  Renn is really coming along.  99% of his problems just stem from me not letting go enough.  I ended up jumping him both days, just so I could really get it through my head what I needed to do.  I think he and I learned a lot.  My dressage lesson with Bug was a big frustration for me.  Kim really wants me to push for that softness and rideability with Bug, and I have such a hard time getting all of my parts to work together.  It's so frustrating feeling like I just can't get it done.  However, I was pleased by the end, that I was *starting* to make it happen faster.  We still have miles and miles to go, but I feel like we're definately making baby steps.  I returned from Aiken with a lot to work on but feeling like I had made a lot of progress as well.

This past Saturday, I took one of my students, Catherine, to the Thoroughbred Training Center in Mocksville, NC (www.ttcmocksville.com) for their Spring Schooling Horse Trials.  Catherine took her pony, Dreamin' Up a Thunderstorm, to have a confidence building BN run, and she took her horse, Mr. Secret Agent Man, to do their first Novice together.  She did an awesome job with them both and ended up 2nd in the Novice division and 3rd in the BN division!!!  I am very proud of her and all of her work.  TTC ran a GREAT show with a lot of new jumps and changes in courses.  

This week, Bug and I head to The Fork CIC3* and Horse Trials to compete in the Preliminary division.   I'll check back in after that!!

Enjoy the warm spring weather!  Happy Riding! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment