Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bringing it home!


February 6th was a one day horse trial at Full Gallop Farm.  Trying to make things work for a midweek event can be a bit difficult, but it fit into my schedule best.  I went down to Aiken with Bug to run the Advanced/Intermediate and Cole to run his very first BN.  Also, my working student, Alice VanBokkelen, tagged along to do BN with her new horse, Classic Skyline.

The weather was quite lovely, so I was pretty excited to get going.  Bug was pretty frisky in his early morning dressage test.  I can get him so lovely at home, but I haven't quite mastered the correct warmup and then test riding skills that I need.  We are getting there slowly, but I would prefer if my brain would kick into gear in the dressage!

The show jumping for Bug was quite big and a very windy course with a lot of verticals on a downhill approach.  Of course, Bug rocked around it with ease.  We still have some work to do with staying together, but in all, I was happy with it.   It was our first Advanced height SJ course that we didn't have any time penalties.

The XC was a pretty decent Intermediate for this time in the season, but after walking it, I was sure Bug was ready to tackle it.  He was clear with some time, but he was being extra careful, and I wasn't always riding to quite the right balance, so we had time in front of the fences.  I wasn't thrilled with how I rode, but I was happy with Bug for answering all of the questions well.

We ended up winning our division and bringing home a lovely blue ribbon!  I am thrilled with that, but I am working hard to improve, improve, improve.

Cole was quite good for his dressage, though a bit tense.  He was a very good boy about going into the arena.  As he was a dressage horse, I was hoping that he would behave himself, and he did.  The jumping phases proved to be a bit of an exciting time with him, though.  He was pretty riled up in the warmup, and I ended up getting bucked off, much to my surprise.  haha  It wasn't really a bad buck, but I wasn't expecting it.  I got to fly through the air in front of everyone.  I got up, wiped the sand off, took my now inflated air vest off and tried again with a smile.

He actually went on to jump great in the warmup, but he was very looky in the ring.  I am surprised that he didn't have any rails, as he was backing up to things and jumping from nothing.  Luckily,  he has a lot of jumping ability.  He went on to jump around cross country with a lot of peeks and looks, but he really grew up as he went around.  I am quite pleased with him.  He will run another BN in March.

I have also been teaching a lot of clinics lately, which has been GREAT FUN.  I really enjoy helping people and seeing the results.  I taught a clinic in Franklin, VA hosted by Dark Horse Eventing owned by Kate Mason, and I also taught a clinic in Preston, MD hosted by Close Up Show Stables owned by Julia Jesu.  I think both clinics were a success, and I am excited to be teaching more.

This weekend I am off to PA to teach another clinic.  I will be coming home Sunday and turning around to leave bright and early for Ocala and the ICP Symposium.  The end of next week brings Bug's first Advanced of the season at Pine Top, and I am really excited!

Until later.....kick on!

No comments:

Post a Comment