Monday, May 3, 2010

Wake up and smell the reflexes!

This past weekend was full of learning experiences!  It's rather a long 7 hour drive through Atlanta, GA to get to Poplar Place Farm in Hamilton, GA.  (www.poplarplacefarm.com)  However, upon arriving, I realized that it is a pretty snazzy place.  For those who have never competed there, it's GORGEOUS.  The show is really well run, the people are really nice, and facility is top notch.  
Bug and I were going to be doing the Preliminary division with the hopes of having a great run up to the CCI* at VA in a few weeks.  My student, Catherine Schumack and her wonder pony, Dreamin' Up a Thunderstorm (affectionately known as Thunder) was competing in the Junior Beginner Novice.

Bug and I have been working very hard on our dressage, and it definately paid off at Poplar.  Our score didn't necessarily reflect how well I believe he went, but sometimes that's the case.  He was consistent in the connection, balanced, and listening to really well without all of the extra movements and spooking he sometimes likes to add to our tests.  We got a 37.3.  The judge really liked us, however, she said the Bug is "A very elegant horse that just needs to relax more over his topline."  Well, at least there weren't any comments about how inconsistent he is in the connection!  That's a first!  He got a 7 on his "Gaits," and I got a 7 on "Rider."  I was thrilled.  There was even an 8 on our first centerline!  We still have a lot of work to do, but I think we are definately on our way. This put us tied for 8th in our division.

The show jumping course was quite big and twisty.  It was a very forward riding course.  I watched a lot of the rounds, and I knew EVERYONE was having time penalties.  Anywhere from 5-10, depending on the round.  I had decided coming into this show, that I really wanted to have a nice controlled ride with Bug.  He can tend to really be over exuberant in his jumping.  We have had plenty of double clear rounds, but thinking ahead to the CCI*, I wanted to be sure that I was setting him up for a controlled, spot on ride at VA.  I didn't push for time in the show jumping, and it cost us 4 time penalties, but I was THRILLED with his round.  We hit every spot perfectly.  He didn't overjump and hang in the air forever.  He was just lovely.  I was very happy with my riding as well.  I've been working very hard to keep my upper body quieter and staying with him in the air (which isn't always easy!).  Even with our 4 time, we moved up to 6th place.   

The XC course was big and gallopy.  There were a few good combinations, including a bounce bank, a tough turn to a corner leading to another combination, and some great combos in the water.  It was also a very long course, at 6+ minutes.  I thought it would be a great chance to see how Bug faired on a longer course.  Once again, the course was riding BEAUTIFULLY.  He was getting every spot, making every minute marker, and I was really happy with my body control.   However, we came up to fence #15, the corner off of a turn with a very narrow place to jump. There were burlap bags filled with sand stacked on the corner.  We were on the perfect stride, and I took for granted that he was going to leave the ground, instead of keeping my left leg on.  IN that split second, Bug spooked, and we had a run-out.  My reflexes weren't quick enough.  If I hadn't taken for granted that he would jump, my left leg would have been on, and it never would have been an issue.  He came right back and jumped it perfectly.  
I'm a bit disappointed with myself, as this is going to eat at me until VA.  The good thing is, I will be practicing corners, skinnies, etc like mad until then!  It was my wake up call, and I plan on not repeating it.  Life is full of lessons, and I'd rather I be taught this one at the horse trial rather than the CCI*.  Disappointments are the fuel that make you work that much harder.  

As for Catherine and Thunder, they had a decent dressage, but it wasn't quite up to their normal standards.  They are usually putting in low-30's to high-20's and this test was a 36, putting them in 6th.  She was a bit disappointed.  We made a plan for her show jumping to make sure her little pony made the time.  She took all of the super inside turns that no one else was taking, and she pulled off a double clear!  I was very proud of them.  Their handy little ride moved them up to 3rd.  Catherine also rode a very lovely XC round with another double clear that gave them a pretty 2nd place ribbon!  I'm very proud of them.  When I started with Catherine, she hadn't done much jumping or dressage with her pony.  Thunder has been great with picking up the dressage, but he hasn't always been very brave with the jumping, even though he can jump very well.  They have just started recognized events within the past year, they have a pretty good BN record!  Two thirds and a second!  They are planning to head to the AEC's this fall.
Well, I'm going to be hitting the training schedule hard in the next few weeks.  Bug has a CCI* to prepare for, and Renn is going to VA to do Novice!
Hope everyone is doing well!!  Kick on!

1 comment: